Due to rapid spring turnover in the raw water supply, please limit and conserve the use of water distributed by the Township of Schreiber. We will announce when you may resume normal consumption. Thank you for your cooperation.
The Township of Schreiber is looking to advertise local businesses at the Schreiber Discovery Centre during its summer operating months through a new digital display platform. Any brick and mortar business that is interested would be billed on an annual basis at a rate of $100.00, plus HST, for the entire summer season while the museum is open. What each business can expect is:
- A customized “slide” (including the business name and location) playing for 20 seconds and placed within a continuous visual playlist;
- Design elements unique to the corporate identity of the business;
- A small description (350 characters max) of the business and what services it offers; and
- Selected pictures of products or services that each business offers (i.e. baking, burgers and pizza, outdoor adventure gear and supplies, etc.)
We are excited to provide this kind of opportunity to our businesses.
Any businesses that would like to advantage of this opportunity and express their point of interest need to contact:
Dominique Charbonneau – Community Economic Development Manager
Businesses wishing to participate will need to make cheques payable to the Township of Schreiber and sent to the following address:
204 Alberta Street, PO Box 40
Schreiber, ON P0T 2S0
May 14 to May 21, 2022
The landfill site will be open free of charge to assist you with disposing of your waste as follows:
1:00 PM to 5:00 PM Saturday, May 14;
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday, May 16 to Friday, May 20; and
1:00 PM to 5:00 PM Saturday, May 21.
The landfill site will be CLOSED from May 22 to May 24 inclusive and resume operation with regular hours and fees Wednesday, May 25, 2022.
Southside of the Subway pick up: All materials must be placed out by Sunday, May 15 to be picked up on Monday & Tuesday. Crews will not backtrack.
Northside of the Subway & Walkers Lake pick up: All materials must be placed out by Tuesday, May 17 to be picked up on Wednesday, Thursday & Friday. Crews will not backtrack.
MATERIALS WILL NOT BE PICKED UP IF THE CREW HAS ALREADY GONE BY
- Pick up applies to residential properties only – commercial and business properties are not included.
- All materials must be placed in an accessible area on the street that fronts your property.
- Pickup will be restricted to yard waste (e.g. leaves, grass, etc. must be bagged), household materials, electronic waste (i.e.: TV’s, computers, etc.) and small amounts of brush. Demolition materials such as garages, sheds, shingles, etc. will not be picked up. Demolition materials may be delivered to the landfill by owners; regular rates apply.
- Metals and electronics must be separated from other refuse or pickup will be refused.
- No tires or demolition material will be picked up at the curb. Residents can deliver and deposit these items at the landfill site, regular rates will apply.
- Large quantities of concrete will not be picked up (i.e. sidewalks or old foundations).
- If you would like the Township to pick up a refrigerator/freezer, all refrigerators/freezers must be tagged “Freon Free” & doors must be removed.
- There will be absolutely No back lane pick up – this includes burning barrels or yard waste.
- No pressurized tanks will be picked up (i.e. propane tanks)
Please Note: Public Works will not pick up derelict vehicles (i.e., old cars trucks, or trailers). These items can be delivered to the landfill site by the residential owner and no tipping fees will apply.
Hazardous Waste Recycling Day is Friday, June 3, 2022. 10:00 am to 2:00 pm at the Tourism Information Center Parking Lot in Terrace Bay (no electronic waste).
Please Note: Car batteries will not be accepted. Please take car batteries to Payne’s Auto “free of charge”.
Land Maintenance & Storage of Materials on Residential Property
Bylaw 26-2020 came into effect on June 23, 2020 and states the following:
- MAINTENANCE OF LAND
- Every owner of land shall keep the land clean and cleared of waste material at all time.
- Section 4.1 does not apply to work which is actively proceeding under a building permit issued by the Township.
- No person shall place or store, or permit to be placed or stored, any objects or material of any kind whatsoever, on vacant land within areas of the Township that are zoned for residential purposes, except where expressly permitted, pursuant to Township’s applicable Zoning Bylaw.
- LITTERING AND DUMPING
- No person shall throw, place, deposit or dump or permit or cause to be permitted, the throwing, placing, depositing or dumping of waste material on private land or public land.
- Notwithstanding the above, nothing in this bylaw shall be deemed to interfere with the filling or raising of land with earth or rock fill or with the disposal of waste on any lands which have been designated for that purpose by Bylaw of the Township.
- MAINTENANCE OF GRASS AND WEEDS
- No person shall permit the growth of grass and/or weeds on private land to exceed 20 centimetres in height.
- INOPERATIVE MOTOR VEHICLE STORAGE
- No person shall permit the outdoor storage of more than one (1) inoperative motor vehicle on private land that is zoned and used for residential purposes.
- Notwithstanding the above, Section 7.1 shall not apply to the storage of motor vehicles and parts which are reasonably necessary for the conduct of a bona fide business, lawfully conducted on the property.
- GRADING AND FILLING OF LAND
- All lands shall be graded, filled up or otherwise drained so as to prevent recurrent pooling of storm water.
- No person shall permit or allow on property owned or occupied by such person any holes, pits, excavations or trenches constituting a health, fire or safety hazard.
For more information please contact Bylaw Enforcement.
FILING OF NOMINATION PAPERS
Notice is hereby given for anyone proposing to be a candidate in the Municipal Election on October 24, 2022. Section 33(1) of the Municipal Elections Act provides that a person may be nominated for an office by filing nomination papers in the Clerk’s Office in person or by an agent.
The nomination form shall be on the prescribed Form 1, must be completed and signed by the candidate and shall be filed in person or by an agent between May 2, 2022 and August 19, 2022 by 2:00 p.m. Facsimiles and emails will not be accepted. The clerk has until 4 p.m. on August 22, 2022 to certify or reject your nomination. The clerk must be satisfied that you are eligible to run in order to certify your nomination. If your nomination is not certified, your name will not appear on the ballot.
The prescribed nomination fee of $200.00 for the Office of Mayor and $100.00 for the position of Councillor or Trustee must accompany the nomination form.
TOWNSHIP OF SCHREIBER
- One (1) Mayor
- Four (4) Councillors
BOARDS OF EDUCATION
Boards of Education, pursuant to the Education Act and Regulations, shall determine by March 28, 2022 the numbers of trustees and the distribution of the trustees in geographic areas across their jurisdictions to be elected to the respective boards. Nominations will be accepted for the office of trustee for the following school boards:
- Superior-Greenstone District School Board
- Superior North Catholic District School Board
- Conseil Scolaire du District du Grand Nord De’L’Ontario
- Conseil Scolaire de Catholique Des Aurores Boreales
Nominations may be filed in the office of the clerk in the municipality with the largest electoral population for the respective board in the geographic area within which the municipality is located.
For further information, please contact the Township Office during regular office hours.
Nathan Dias, CAO/Clerk
204 Alberta Street
Schreiber, ON P0T 2S0
Phone: (807)824-2711 ex.225
Bruce Richardson, Lead Hand, will be retiring from the Township of Schreiber in 2022, after more than 39 years of service. On Friday, April 8th, Bruce’s last official day of work, family, staff, Council and retired staff gathered to recognize Bruce’s retirement.
Congratulations, Bruce, on your well deserved retirement, we wish you all the best!
Effective today, March 1, 2022, the Township of Schreiber has lifted proof of vaccinations in their facilities and indoor capacity limits in all indoor public settings. Reminder that the Mask Policy is still in effect in all of our facilities.
With many restrictions lifting today, we ask you to remember to be safe, cautious and kind to one another.
Thank you for taking care of yourselves and each other throughout the pandemic.
The Thunder Bay District Health Unit is holding vaccine clinics at the Michael King Hall on February 2, 2022, and on February 15, 2022.
The restrictions on Pfizer have been lifted, all ages can now receive Pfizer.
We do want to remind people that the Pfizer and Moderna are interchangeable, and we wish Thank those that took the first available vaccine.
To book please see below, and search clinics in Terrace Bay (not by your postal code).
Visit https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/ to book. If you have trouble booking online, call 1-833-943-3900 for assistance.
If you have problems with above options, then please call Terrace Bay (807) 825-7770.
There are spots available for booster doses for anyone 18+ as well as for first and second doses for ages 5-17 years.
The Township of Schreiber will be reopening the Municipal Office for Front Counter Services as of Thursday, January 27, 2022.
We are still encouraging payments through electronic means (telephone, online, mobile banking), in person at your financial institution, and by mail or courier (cheque or money order; do not send cash).
The following facilities will be reopened as per Provincial COVID-19 restrictions as of Monday, January 31, 2022:
This includes the Arena, Community Hall, Fitness Centre (members will have their memberships extended for the period of the closure), and Municipal Complex Gym.
Due to the malfunction of the roof-mounted heating unit at the Municipal Complex, the Senior’s Centre, Pool Room and Quilting Room will remain closed until necessary repairs are completed and heat is restored. Active proof of vaccine screening, physical distancing, mask-wearing, and hand hygiene will remain in place at all municipal facilities.
We recognize the disruption and inconvenience of these closures. We are addressing this pandemic and public health emergency very seriously and are taking every precaution to keep our residents and employees safe.
If you have any questions, please call 807-824-2711 or email email@example.com
It’s official, the Outdoor Rink is open! Please remember to adhere to the current COVID regulations when visiting the rink. Currently, outdoor recreational amenities can be open with a gathering limited to 10 people or fewer.